Midtopia

Midtopia

Monday, August 07, 2006

DeLay to stay on the ballot

Rep. Tom DeLay will appear on the November ballot, as the Texas Republican Party exhausted its legal appeals.

The decision came after Justice
Antonin Scalia rejected Texas Republicans' request to block an appeals court ruling saying DeLay's name should remain on the ballot.

"I think all our legal avenues are exhausted in terms of affecting the ruling prior to the election," said Jim Bopp Jr., the attorney who argued the Republican Party's case to allow party officials to substitute another candidate for DeLay.

While it's appealing to see DeLay's too-cute political maneuver defeated, I've said before that I think the Democrats are doing the wrong thing by forcing DeLay to stay on the ballot. It's robbing the citizens of DeLay's district of a choice in November.

Now that it's a done deal, I hope DeLay withdraws. But if he doesn't, I just hope that the tactic doesn't backfire on the Democrats. Because while I find the actions of both sides to be less than admirable, I do not want to see DeLay back in Congress come November.

, , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, committment to democracy generally takes a backseat to partisan efforts to win. It amazes me that people that will decry the GOP for their tactics think that it's perfectly ok to employ the same kind of tactics on the grounds of "they did bad things to us." And then accuse people that object to being naive or not good enough Democrats. (I'm speaking especially of the bloggers.)

Anonymous said...

what happens if Delay withdraws, will the Republicans get to nominate someone else in his place ? or they cant, and Nick Lampson gets a "walk in the park" contest with some unknown third party candidates ?
GK

John Peltier said...

I see where you're coming on this, but.. given Delay's 10 years of smelly politics, a little comeuppance is fun to watch. Yes, I should be ashamed of myself, but I'm not.