The Republicans are coming!
Seriously, this is cool. Not so seriously, some random thoughts:
* I imagine the police are already counting the overtime
* I'm glad I no longer live in Minneapolis. Conventions are supposed to boost the local economy, but the costs will fall most heavily on Minneapolis residents, and I don't think they're going to get their money back.
* Traffic is going to suck; St. Paul streets are a nightmare even without tens of thousands of out-of-towners, and without a light-rail link from the airport all those visitors are going to be driving, busing or taxiing into St. Paul. At least those of us who work in downtown Minneapolis will only get the peripheral effects.
* This should kill our chances of getting the Democratic convention. The two are scheduled to be held on consecutive weekends, and there's no way our humble metropolis could handle both.
* I wonder how hard it will be to get press credentials to blog from the convention center?
Republicans, convention, 2008, politics, midtopia