Midtopia

Midtopia

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Bayh bows out

Evan Bayh has decided not to run for president in 2008.

Meanwhile, John Edwards is in.

I voted for Edwards in 2004 so I'm happy to see this, but he needs to get a new schtick; "Two Americas" will be shopworn by 2008.

Hillary Clinton? Hate propoganda aside, she has carved out a very centrist position. But I'm not thrilled at the prospect of another two years of extreme polarization, and wonder how Clinton fatigue will work against her.

Barack Obama? Nice guy, and as someone who voted for Edwards I shouldn't cast stones about his inexperience. But I will anyway: he needs to get more seasoning before taking a shot at the top job. I'll give him serious consideration in 2012.

Tom Vilsack? I haven't had time to do much research on him. But he's got good experience credentials. I'll give him some thought.

,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What??? So you are not even going to consider the Straight-talking John McCain----the Republican that many Democrats said in 2000 they would have voted for had he got the nomination?

JP5

Anonymous said...

Of course I wouldn't vote for him anyway since he's a liberal Democrat----but John Edwards has some major flaws. First he pretends to be from a lower class---and is always talking about his Dad's lower-level job. But his Dad was a Plant Manager---John was college educated and is a rich lawyer. I hate it when Democrat politicians try to pretend to be something they are not. It's hypocritical. Also---he blasts Wal-Mart for no reason. Yet he leaves Union bosses, movie stars, and lawyers like himself alone. If he wants to see an example of someone poor who worked hard and made it big---he should examine Sam Walton's story. He's a true American success and Democrats like Edwards don't seem to appreciate that.

JP5

Sean Aqui said...

JP5, why not address what I write, not what "most Democrats" say?

I've never had much use for McCain, as detailed here, here and here. The Republicans that I'm currently willing to consider are Giuliani and Hagel.

As for Edwards -- accuracy of the observations aside, those are what you consider "major flaws"?

Not Your Mama said...

I have reservations about Edwards, not sure if that isn't just a personal bias though so I'm reserving judgement.

Frankly I've had more than enough of the right-wing shenanigans for one lifetime. Unless it is Giuliani I will most likely vote for whoever the dem candidate is...regardless. No, I'm not going to apologise to any righties for it either, it's exactly what you've done for years so suck it up.

Anonymous said...

nym, that about sums up my perspective as well....

Tonight I caught the tail end of something - Gingrich is "looking at" running.... for something.... *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Sean--the McCain comment was said "tongue-in-cheek." I never thought you would support him--I was only kidding.

Just couldn't believe anybody would support John "Pretty Boy" Edwards. He has nothing to offer, other than he's "cute." All he wants to do is pit the country one group against another, while pretending he's in the poor group. Laughable.

JP5