Midtopia

Midtopia

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Kerry gets a scalp

Unexpectedly, the White House has withdrawn ambassador nominee Sam Fox, A Republican money man who was harangued by Sen. John Kerry earlier this month for helping fund the Swiftboat Veterans for Truth.

At the time, Fox's confirmation was considered a sure thing. But apparently too many Democratic senators decided Fox wasn't apologetic enough (indeed, he wasn't apologetic at all).

It's hard to feel bad about this. Yes, a president should generally have the right to put anyone he wants into appointed positions, such as ambassadorships, unless they're clearly unqualified. On the other hand, if one is going to fund outrageously partisan organizations, perhaps one should not expect to be confirmed in any post requiring the approval of your victims.

, , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow---so much for freedom of speech, eh? Generally, I find you fair Sean---but your partisanship is really showing lately. Talk of "scalps" and "deathwatches" pretty much proves that fact.

I always thought people in this country were FREE to contribute to whatever organization they saw fit to. But apparently not anymore.

I guess we can assume, then, that if Hillary Clinton gets in as President that she will be disallowed any appointment of her choice IF they EVER contributed to MoveOn.org, or any other left--wing cause. Hmmm....good to know. I'm making notes on all the new rules that I am SURE all the Dems are going to abide by.

JP5

Anonymous said...

BESIDES----looks to me like the Switboaters and Sam Fox got the last laugh: Kerry lost!!! And in fact, Kerry is so bad, he stepped in it again this time by referring to our troops as uneducated and he had to withdraw from this race.

Poor, pathetic Lurch!

JP5

Not Your Mama said...

I guess we can assume, then, that if Hillary Clinton gets in as President that she will be disallowed any appointment of her choice IF they EVER contributed to MoveOn.org, or any other left--wing cause.

If congress is under republican control...absolutely. They've already behaved in a similar fashion on numerous occasions. Is it a good thing? Mostly no but I didn't create this game they play.

*Most* Dems used to "play nicer", all it got them was sand kicked in their faces and taunts of being "weak,girlie men" and "tree-hugging, liberal hippies". Now they're using the same tactics on the Republicans. I personally put up with more than my share of it simply as a private citizen. I'm not feeling much sympathy.

Never use a weapon you don't want turned on you down the road.

Sean Aqui said...

JP5: Partisan? I'm just calling it as I see it. Gonzales is doomed; hence "deathwatch." Kerry, not me, got a scalp.

If you want to call me partisan, then do so on the basis that I don't feel too sorry for Fox and am not particularly outraged by the Democrat's rejection of him. But that has less to do with partisan politics than with simple humanity, as I note in my post.

Should Bush have been able to install Fox as ambassador? On Planet Vulcan, yes. But it's unsurprising that Kerry in particular would oppose this particular nomination. I don't find that sleazy; I find it human.