Midtopia

Midtopia

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Jerry Falwell dies


Mr. Moral Majority meets his Maker.

I'm not going to pretend to miss him. Oh, there was the entertainment value of his blustering, but that hardly made up for the actual damage he did. Although in the long run it's a wash, as the declining influence of he and his kind make clear. He gave people a good look at what the religious right stood for -- and it wasn't pretty.

Still, I'm not big on bashing the dead, so I'll just keep silence. I hope there's an afterlife for you, Mr. Falwell. If there is, I'm curious to know if it's the one you expected.

, , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOT into "bashing the dead?" Hmmm....sure sounded like it to me. What makes you think he doesn't deserve to go to heaven? What did he do to you?

Rev. Falwell was not someone I listened to. But one thing I will say is that from the times I did hear him speak---he seems to have been a better, more well-meaning Reverend than some other well-known ones--namely the Reverend Sharpton and the Reverend Jackson.

JP5

Sean Aqui said...

Believe me, if I wanted to bash him, I could have done far, far more.

As for "what makes you think he doesn't deserve to go to heaven?", please indicate where I said that. I have my opinions on his relative goodness, but whether Heaven exists and the entrance requirements thereof aren't really up to me. For instance, what if there is a heaven but it's not the Christian one?