Midtopia

Midtopia

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Remembering Grandma

My grandmother died last weekend. With her death I have no more grandparents, and my parents become the oldest living members of that side of our family.

She was 94. She'd had dementia for years, so her death frankly was more of a relief than anything else. The Grandma we knew has been gone a long time, and we did most of our mourning long ago.

She and my grandfather lived most of their adult lives in Houston. He was a federal mediator, resolving labor disputes at places like the Johnson Space Center. She was mostly a stay-at-home mom, active in school and the church.

Beyond that she was a Daughter of the American Revolution, tracing her ancestry back to a man who served as a captain in the Revolutionary War. She was also a very fine person.

I'm heading down to my parents' house this weekend for a memorial service. Then in June we'll all go out to the east coast to bury her in her native Virginia, next to her husband, at Pohick Church -- yep, George Washington's church.

May she rest in peace.

,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. Grandparents are such an important part of our lives---IF we are lucky enough to have them with us for a long time. Many people don't have that luxury. I grew up with BOTH sets of Grandparents living on the same street; 4 houses down was one set and them 4 houses up from them was the other set. Everywhere I went, I had a "set of eyes" keeping tabs on me. Besides ones own parents, no one loves you like your Grandparents do. It's a special kind of love---all the "fun" and little of the responsibility. I had lost all of mine by the time I was in my mid-thirties and felt very fortunate to have had them that long. The memories will be there forever!!

JP5