Midtopia

Midtopia

Friday, August 24, 2007

Still breathing

Hey all! I'm still here, but as noted in an earlier post, I've been really busy getting ready for the start of a new school year, planning some end-of-summer vacation and running a fantasy-football draft.

Speaking of which, my team for this year looks like this:

QB: Carson Palmer
RBs: Steven Jackson, Brandon Jacobs, DeAngelo Williams and a bunch of backups
WRs: Reggie Wayne, Hines Ward, Calvin Johnson
TE: Antonio Gates
K: Matt Stover
DEF: Denver Broncos

It's a 10-team league (really sort of a 9-teamer, since one of our owners went nuts and drafted all Patriots this year). But I like my chances.

In addition, this week a whole bunch of daycares were on break, so we had a neighborhood full of kids at our house -- on the days we weren't looking after sick daughters.

And on top of all that, my wife just quit her job to go into business for herself. So we've been scrambling to work through all the steps to set up an S corporation and get her going.

Phew! Tomorrow we leave for the aforementioned vacation, a weeklong camping trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota. Four adults and four kids in a 12-passenger van.... we'll see how that works out.

Anyway, I'll be back and posting after Labor Day. See you then!

,

4 comments:

Tully said...

Black Hills? I'm jealous!

If the adults get along, the kids can be managed. Putting locator beacons on 'em? Telling them how to outrun bears? ;-)

PatHMV said...

Hey, glad to see you're ok. Was getting worried about you.

Sean Aqui said...

Tully: Reminds me of a joke my dad likes to tell. He starts out by remarking, "In Alaska, they tell hikers in bear country to wear little bells on their clothes to avoid surprising a bear."

He'll carry on in that vein for awhile, then change the topic. After a while he veers back by saying "by the way, do you know how do identify bear droppings?" When you say no, he'll grin and answer, "They've got little bells in them."

Actually, travel was pretty easy. We had a 15-passenger van. We removed a middle row of seats to make room for luggage, then stashed the kids in the back while the adults rode up front. We slung a portable DVD player from the ceiling, and the kids watched movies in back while the adults listened to CDs, talked and read '80s Trivial Pursuit cards aloud.

Sean Aqui said...

Pat: No worries. If something happens to me, enough friends know about this blog that I would expect them to post something. Maybe I should list the blog password in my will....